About Me

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
I'm going through a transitional stage...coming out on top.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Transition...To Adulthood

I'M ONLY 1/5 of an ADULT: 
Can you believe that? My only qualifying factor is that I have finished school. However, I have yet to find a stable job, move out of my parents home, marry and have kids. These are the other milestones of adulthood according to this article.

While being a recent grad and unemployed, I find myself going through feelings of hopeful optimism mixed with self-questioning pessimism. After all, school is pointless if you don't get a job afterwards. So I start to think about my life choices. I say to myself: Self, why did you go to film school? Why not engineering? Why don't you already have 2-5 years of job experience?

To top it off, everyone asks me EVERY TIME THEY SEE ME whether I have found a job or not. No, I am not a productive member of society.

THE DILEMMA: I'm in Chicago
Yes I know that there are very few production companies in Chicago, but I have to have money in order to move. Industry jobs tend to be seasonal/temporary, and the connection that I do have are telling me to contact them when I get to NYC. Um...what does that mean? I would need to fly to NYC, live in a closet and then call you and maybe get a temp job? Oh no.

A NEW SURGE OF FAITH:
Lately I've been hit with a new surge of faith and optimism because fall is approaching and therefore media jobs, that tend to be seasonal, are opening up. It's very easy to slip into anxiety/depression during this time, as I am learning. Yet my faith that God has my back keeps me going. In the meantime I make up productive things to do, so I feel like I'm being productive--hence this blog.

THE ICING ON THE CAKE:
Why did the City of Chicago send me a $100 ticket in the mail. WHY WHY WHY!

I'll keep y'all posted on the job search...on my terms. DON'T ASK ME.

Faith,
MorganEliseJ

No comments:

Post a Comment